Wednesday, April 20, 2005

John Bolton to the United Nations...

Personally, I don't know much about John Bolton and had never heard of him before President Bush nominated him to be the next Ambassador to the United Nations. However, Senator Barbara Boxer (my senator) played an introduction to John Bolton at the confirmation hearings.

Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., played a three-minute video clip in which Bolton said that "there's no such thing as the United Nations" and if 10 floors of the 38-story U.N. headquarters building were eliminated, "it wouldn't make a bit of difference."

Those are truly revealing comments. Wanting to remove ten floors from the United Nations building in New York makes him a little too moderate for my tastes, but we have to start somewhere. So far, I've seen no reason not to send Bolton to the United Nations and many reasons why he is exactly the kind of Ambassador to the United Naitons we need at this point in time. Frankly, I believe the American people sent a message to the world (and it wasn't "we're sorry") when we re-elected President Bush, and I think I like the idea of the President passing that message along to the United Nations. Anyway, there is a good summation of the latest antics of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee at roger l. simon about the confirmation of John Bolton.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home