Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Deep Throat - Do I Care?

I view this entire episode of the "outing" of the deep throat character as a nostalgic indulgence for my elders and aging journalists wistfully remembering bygone days of investigative reporting. In case you haven't heard, Vanity Fair has published the confession of the person who claims to be the fabled "deep throat" of Watergate fame (hat tip: Huffington Post).

"I'm The Guy They Called Deep Throat" - In a V.F. exclusive, W. Mark Felt, 91 years old and formerly second-in-command at the F.B.I., says that he is the confidential Watergate source who assisted Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein—and helped bring down President Richard Nixon.

Honestly, I don't know that much about the whole Watergate ordeal, so I can't muster much excitement over this latest revelation. I do, however, have some questions about an FBI official secretively cooperating with for-profit media corporations to help bring down a sitting President of the United States.

I think it is abusive and shameful that our Senators are using the CIA and FBI to dig for gossip and watercooler hearsay about presidential nominees. I admit that I don't know exactly what Mr. Felt's role was in the investigation of even if there is anything to this angle of questioning, but I would be disappointed to find that our FBI was in bed with our woeful media corporations at the expense of our elected officials.

1 Comments:

Anonymous dannytoro said...

One thing which really strikes my thoughts is: Here we have the number two guy over at the FBI, who shortly after he is not promoted to the number one post, goes out and increases the post's circulation. Hardly some Hero. Granted neither is Nixon for the break ins. But who in the hell does Felt think he is, taking matters into his own hands and usurping any official investigation. An honorable man I think not, a vindictive one yes, and he should be ashamed of himself.....A hero would have led or testified to an investigation....

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home