Thursday, May 12, 2005

Gun Ownership - A Human Right

The Bill of Rights is one of those things that I support. The San Diego Union Tribune reports that Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice also supports the Bill of Rights (hat tip: Instapundit).

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, recalling how her father took up arms to defend fellow blacks from racist whites in the segregated South, said Wednesday the constitutional right of Americans to own guns is as important as their rights to free speech and religion.

In an interview on CNN's "Larry King Live," Rice said she came to that view from personal experience. She said her father, a black minister, and his friends armed themselves to defend the black community in Birmingham, Ala., against the White Knight Riders in 1962 and 1963. She said if local authorities had had lists of registered weapons, she did not think her father and other blacks would have been able to defend themselves.

This takes me back to an animated clip from Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine that equates the National Rifle Association with the Ku Klux Klan.

As it turns out, black communities organized NRA chapters and armed themselves with surplus military rifles to defend against attacks by Klan members (hat tip: David T. Hardy). One such episode is briefly covered by Dr. Michael S. Brown at Keep And Bear Arms. The story is taken from the book Negroes With Guns, writtin by Robert F. Williams. Dr. Rice may be familiar with Williams' work and activism, but I believe she is basically confirming the intrinsic civil and human right of gun ownership and use for self-defense.


UPDATE 12:15 PM - It is completely coincidental that I run across a comment by one Dave Hardy over at Alphecca wondering why the transcript of the Larry King Live interview mentions nothing about Dr. Rice's remarks quoted by the Associated Press. This leads to many questions, the first being is this the same David T. Hardy that I have hat-tipped in my post?


UPDATE 7:25 PM - Countertop Chronicles points to the entire transcript posted an the State Department. Countertop lists the relevant part of the interview, which I will also highlight here.

MR. KING: By the way, what do you think about gun control?

SECRETARY RICE: Well, Larry, I come out of a -- my own personal experiences in which in Birmingham, Alabama, my father and his friends defended our community in 1962 and 1963 against white nightriders by going to the head of the community, the head of the cul-de-sac, and sitting there armed. And so I'm very concerned about any abridgement of the Second Amendment. I'll tell you that I know that if Bull Connor had had lists of registered weapons, I don't think my father and his friends would have been sitting at the head of the community defending the community.

MR. KING: Did you see him take the guns?

SECRETARY RICE: Oh, absolutely. Every night, he and his friends kind of organized a little brigade.

MR. KING: How old were you?

SECRETARY RICE: I was eight -- eight years old.

MR. KING: You remember that?

SECRETARY RICE: I remember it very, very well.

Kudos again to the Countertop Chronciles on that confirmation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous abboriggeno said...

Hi, I'm Italian, (living in Sydney at the moment), I've found your blow looking for some more detailed news about this speech of Mrs Rice.
I have to say we're really concerned about things are going in the States in the past few years, and about your real democratic rights.
I can say I agree completely with M. Moore that you quoted, and I'm really worried about your Country. (Italy is no so good as well at the moment, With Berlusconi...)

see you

4:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home